Grandfather
on Building a Foundation
One of the better
memories of my childhood was going for walks with my Grandfather, Edward
“Speedy” Gerkin. He was my mother’s father. My earliest memory of him is
probably when I was about four, but this story takes place when I was about
five or six, apparently in the year 1956.
My grandfather was born
in West Virginia in 1984 so he was about 72 in 1956. In his youth he was a
running back on a football team. He acquired the nickname, Speedy, because,
during a football game against an Eastern Pennsylvania team, he ran down a
player from behind and tackled him. The player he tackled happened to have the
reputation of being the fastest runner in the local area. After the game a
number of locals approached my grandfather and offered him money if he would
run a foot race against the player to resolve who was the fastest. My
grandfather declined.
My grandfather only had
an eight grade education, becoming an apprentice machinist for a railroad
sometime in his teens. The railroad he worked for had a football team and
during his early years he spent a lot of time playing for that team.
Grandfather made a career of working as a machinist for the railroad. I believe
he was forced to retire in the early 1950’s when his employer at that time,
Union Pacific, ordered him to take a physical and discovered he had a heart
murmur. It was a condition he’d had since birth.
Grandfather never owned
an automobile. To get around in the city he either walked or took a “street
car” as he called them. I believe the street cars were replaced with buses
sometime in the early 1950’s. For long distance travel, he took the train. Back
then passenger trains were a lot more prevalent than today.
I think grandfather took
a walk most every day. He knew a lot people who lived near the downtown area
and had several favorite bars and a bookie he liked to visit. Not infrequently
I accompanied him on his walks.
So one day our walk took
us past the site where construction workers were installing the foundation for
Northwestern Bell’s new building. The location was adjacent to Dodge St.
between 18th and 19th streets. For protection of
pedestrians who passed by, the construction contractor built a covered walkway.
The walkway was made from rough cut lumber and had several openings where
people could observe the construction. These “windows” were up too high for me
to see through, but my grandfather lifted me up. I saw a pile driving operation
for the first time. It was a noisy operation, but I found it interesting. Figure
1 below shows the crane that would be rigged to drive the piles and stacks of
piles.
Figure
1: Crane Used for Pile Driving & Piles
Grandfather then went on
to explain the process and purpose of the piles. As he explained it, the piles
would be driven into the ground and filled with concrete. This would allow the
building to be supported by bedrock below the softer soil.
I was so impressed that I
decided I’d like to build a pile supported structure. I didn’t have a lot of
material to work with though. Back then fruits were shipped in wooden crates
like the one in Figure 2. There was a corner grocery store at the end of the
block on which I lived. From time to time I acquired empty crates from this
store. I liked building things from the wood. After learning about pile
foundations from my grandfather I decided to try building my own pile supported
structure. Although I didn’t have enough wood to construct a building, I did
make a platform like that shown in Figure 3.
I cut strips of wood from
the boards I took off the long sides of the crates. These were my “piles”. I
drove them into the ground in the front yard. The end pieces of the crates I
set on top of the piles. These end pieces were not secured to the piles beneath
so the resulting platform was pretty unstable. I think my dad made me remove my
platform a few days later because it was a nuisance.
Figure 2: An Orange Crate
Figure
3: My Pile Supported Floor
Sometime after seeing the
Northwestern Bell construction site, I had to have my tonsils removed. As I
rode in the cab with my mother, we passed by the site on the campus of Creighton
University where the Mary Rogers Brandeis Student Center was under
construction. I heard the now familiar sound of piles being driven into the
ground.
Sometime after that I
lost interest in piles. However that was not my last encounter with a pile
driving operation.
In 1976 I graduated from
the University of Nebraska with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. I had
chosen to study civil engineering for several reasons. First, I wanted to be an
airline pilot. A cousin of mine who was actually my mother’s first cousin was a
pilot for the now defunct Eastern Airlines. I was worried that my eyesight
might not be good enough to be a pilot. I knew I had a problem with depth
perception. My cousin gave me advice that went something like this”
“Mike,
there are eye doctors that specialize in keeping pilots qualified. I would,
advise you to get a college degree of some kind. The airlines will try place
pilots who are no longer qualified to fly elsewhere within the company if they
have other skills.”
Taking his advice I
decided to go get an engineering degree. I figured I ought to study aeronautical
engineering. The University of Nebraska didn’t have an aeronautical engineering
program; but an advisor assured me that with a mechanical or electrical
engineering degree I could likely find employment in the aerospace industry.
Since resident tuition is usually much cheaper than nonresident tuition, I
decided to go to college in Nebraska. My advisor also explained that the first
two years of courses were pretty much the same for all engineering students. I
enrolled at the University of Nebraska at Omaha although they didn’t offer a
mechanical or electrical engineering program.
I had trouble mastering
mechanics of materials, dynamics, thermodynamics and electric circuits, so I
questioned if I should even consider pursuing an engineering degree.
During the summer of
1972, however, I was offered a position as an engineering aid with the Bureau
of Land Management in Canon City, Colorado. I assisted the District Engineer
surveying various civil engineering projects like small dams, roads, and fence
lines. I though the engineer I worked for had a great position. He did field work
in the beautiful mountains of Colorado during the summer and in the winter he
worked in the office designing projects for the upcoming construction season.
There was one type of
project that really spurred my interest in civil engineering. He designed small
dams to store water for use by wildlife and livestock. He was able somehow to
predict whether there would be sufficient water to fill the dam to the desired
capacity. This required the knowledge of a science called hydrology. I wished
to learn more about applying this science to engineering problems. After
getting a “D” in mechanics of materials for the second time and barely getting
a “C” in electrical circuits in the semester following my experience in
Colorado, I decided to study civil engineering.
After receiving my degree
I first went to work in Nevada in the hydrological section of the Lower
Colorado Regional Office of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. Unfortunately I had
trouble applying hydrological techniques to practical problems. Subsequently I
worked for the U.S. Geological survey in Portland, Oregon and the Puget Sound
Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington. In 1983 I took a job as a construction
inspector at Fort McCoy near Sparta, Wisconsin.
It was at Fort McCoy that
I encounter pile construction again. One of the projects I had to inspect was
the replacement of two bridges constructed of timber with ones to be
constructed primarily of concrete.
Figure
4: Drawing Showing Bridge Components.
I now had the opportunity
to see the pile driving operation up close
Figure 4 shows the main
components of the type of bridge that was being used to replace the old timber
bridge. As shown in the figure the foundation consists of steel H piles with a
reinforced concrete cap. Figure 5 shows more detail on what H piles look like
after they’ve been driven into the soil. Although Figure 5 is not taken from
the project I inspected, the pile group is very similar. I include it to show
the shape of “H’ piles.
The strength of a single
pile to support its share of the weight of a structure is dependent on the
length of the pile, the friction between the pile and surrounding soil, and the
bearing capacity of the material below the tip of the pile. These same factors
also provide resistance to pile driving. The resistance to pile driving is
overcome by the force imparted to the pile as it is being driven by hammer of
the pile driver. As the pile is forced into the ground this resistance
increases until it reaches a point to where the pile is said to be in “refusal”.
At this point the hammer impact force is insufficient to overcome driving
resistance; it is often associated with an equivalent blow count of
approximately 10 blows per inch. That is, ten blows of the hammer will only
drive the pile another inch into the ground. When the driving has reached this
point, theoretically the pile has reached the required strength to support its
share of the weight of the structure.
My job as a construction
inspector was to observe the pile driving operation to see that the contractor
followed the proper procedures. In particular, I was to determine when each
pile had been driven to refusal.
So, approximately 28
years after my first observation of a pile driving operation, I was doing it
again. The difference now was that I was doing it up close and getting paid for
it.
Figure
5: A Line of Driven “H” Piles
Of course the type of
piles used in the pile driving operation I observed as an engineer were
different than those I saw with my grandfather. Having researched the method of
construction of cast in place driven concrete piles I will describe it.
The type of pile used for
constructing a cast in place concrete pile consist of a steel tube (looks like
a pipe) fitted with a steel head. See figure 6.
The steel head can be fixed to the pipe if the casing is to remain in
the soil or at can be detachable to allow for extraction and reuse of the
tubing. It may be necessary to use a pile where the casing is left in place if
groundwater conditions might adversely affect the placement of concrete or the
soil surrounding the pile is too soft or pliable to serve as a form for the
freshly placed concrete. I don’t know whether the casings for the piles used
for the northwestern Bell building foundation were left in place. Nevertheless,
the process for installing the piles is the same except for the extraction
phase.
Phase 1:
The pile head is placed on the steel tube casing and the pile is driven to
refusal. Figure 6 shows the pile in place ready for the next phase.
Figure
6: Pile Driven Into Soil
Phase 2: Concrete
reinforcing is lowered in to the casing. Figure 7 shows the reinforcing in
place.
Figure
7: Pile Concrete Reinforcing Lowered into Casing
Phase 3:
Concrete is placed in the steel tube.
Phase 4: The
steel casing is extracted. Figure 8 shows the pile after concrete placement.
Figure
8: Pile with Concrete in Place
I don’t know how my
grandfather, a machinist with only an eighth grade education gained his
knowledge of pile construction. I suspect it was just by observing the process
and asking questions. Nevertheless, you can see how this experience had an
impact on my life.








No comments:
Post a Comment