One of the great things
about being a Catholic is the Sacrament of Confession. I don’t know if any
other religions have anything to compare with Confession. Confession is often
referred to the Sacrament of Penance. This is because the sinner is required to
do some penance after he or she confesses – more about that later.
For those unfamiliar with
the Catholic Sacrament of Penance, I’ll give you a brief outline of what is
involved.
·
Examination of conscience:
This is what you do before you confess. In involves trying to recall all the
sins you committed since your last confession. There are two basic categories
of sin, mortal and venial. A mortal sin is a serious sin. Examples of mortal
sin are adultery, fornication, murder, armed robbery, telling a lie that ruins
a person’s reputation. Venial sin is a lesser offence such as petty theft,
lying that has no serious consequence, reading “girlie” magazines, cursing or
watching soft porn on the internet. Obviously it is harder to confess a mortal
sin than a venial one.
·
Confess your sins:
This is the step where you tell your sins to a priest. It is normally done in a
confessional, but can be done anywhere. For instance a dying soldier might
confess his sins to a priest on the battlefield. The confessional allows the
sinner to remain anonymous if the sinner wishes. In my younger days confessionals
always had a screen with a cloth between the sinner and the priest. The
confessional was also unlit. This combination prevented the priest from seeing
who was performing the confession. The Catholic Church later made changes that
allowed for a face to face confession if the sinner desired; but the option to
remain behind the screen remained.
·
Receive counseling from the priest:
After the sinner enumerated his or her sins. The priest my counsel the sinner
on how to avoid the sin in the future or provide some words of comfort.
·
Say an Act of Contrition:
This is where you verbally say a prayer that acknowledges your sins offended God
and you promise to avoid repeating them in the future.
·
Penance:
The priest gives you a penance to perform. Usually this is a series of prayers
for you to say. For instance the priest might tell you to say three “Our
Fathers” and three “Hail Mary’s”. The
priest might also direct you to perform some task you find undesirable such as
doing the family dishes for a week. The priest might also order you to make
restitution in the case of theft.
·
Absolution:
The priest, acting as Christ’s representative, absolves you of your sins.
I always thought the
Sacrament of Penance was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, “selling
points” of the Catholic Church. The main reason is that your confession to a
priest is protected by the “Seal of Confession”. This means that the priest
will not repeat anything you tell in confession to anyone else. There have been
cases where priests have been tortured and killed because they wouldn’t reveal
what they were told in confession. In general, civil law also respects the Seal
of Confession. If you are not a Catholic and are troubled by sins you may have
committed what are your options for dealing with your inner guilt? Let’s
examine some.
·
Talk to a bartender: I
guess this is an option for adults. It has the advantage that you can do it
over a double scotch; but do you trust the bartender not to repeat what you
told him? Of course if you haven’t attained drinking age, this is not an
option.
·
Psychiatrist or Psychologist:
What you tell a psychiatrist or psychologist may be protected by law as
privileged information; but this is a costly alternative.
·
Talk to your spouse:
All I can say about this is “Do you want the spouse to know all your sins?”
· Talk to your parents: This
is an option; but, if you’re a kid there is probably a lot of things you’d
rather your parents didn’t know.
·
Friends:
You may have a friend whom you trust to keep your confidence; but it’s not
guaranteed. In addition, there are some things you might not want your friend
to know.
So, as a Catholic you can
confess your sins, get absolution, and a guarantee of confidentiality at no
cost. Can you beat a deal like that?
In my youth I took
advantage of the Sacrament of Penance frequently. One of the reasons for this
was that I was “encouraged” by my parents to do so. As a child, however, the
difference between a mortal and venial sin was somewhat blurred and I tended to
perceive some sins as mortal that I would now consider as venial. Going to
confession provided a spiritual relief.
Growing up in St. John’s
Parish there were a lot of priests to choose from as my confessor. We had five
or six parish priests and some of the priests from Creighton University would
hear confessions also. As a result, I could go to a different priest almost
anytime, thus further ensuring anonymity.
Anonymity was one of the
characteristics of confession that drew me to the sacrament. I always felt good
that the priest didn’t know who I was. Well on one occasion my cover was blown.
You see I was also an altar boy. As a result, I think most of the parish
priests knew me.
One of the priests I
liked as a confessor was Father Aloysius Wilwerding. Father Wilwerding had a
speech impediment which was the result of having been shot in the throat while
serving as a Chaplain during World War I. The wound, inflicted on the
Argonne-Meuse front, made it hard to understand him; but I don’t think I ever
really had a problem hearing what he had to say.
One hot summer day I went
to confession to Fr. Wilwerding. I had some embarrassing sins to confess and I
was glad for the anonymity of the confessional. After Fr. Wilwerding
administered absolution and assigned the penance he said:
“Mike will you go into
the sacristy and turn on blowers 3 & 4?”
He was referring to two
of the ventilating fans use to exhaust hot air from the church. At that period
of time the church had no air conditioning system to provide cooling. Obviously
Fr. Wilwerding knew who I was all the time!
That incident didn’t
discourage me from going back to him. One reason was that he would help you
along in the confession process. For instance, as I indicated before, it can be
embarrassing to have to tell certain sins to the priest. As a result, as a
penitent, I would tend to be obscure on how I described my sins. The following
exchange shows an example of how Fr. Wilwerding assisted me.
Penitent:
“I use some bad language three to four times a day.”
Fr. Wilwerding:
“Like what? Son of a B?”
No comments:
Post a Comment